Deanne Thornton and Andrea James are seeking submissions for a collection of letters from trans women to trans women. This is a companion piece inspired by Letters For My Brothers, the collection of wisdom from trans men edited by Megan M. Rohrer and Zander Keig.
Specifically, we are interested in letters that are:
• Written to yourself or others at the start of your transition.
• Discussions of why transition was the best choice.
• Things you found out about yourself through transition.
Other relevant topics on transitional wisdom in retrospect will be considered. Just follow these guidelines:
• Letters should be 1,000 words or fewer.
• Be searching and fearless.
• Be honest about your mistakes and heartaches as well as your surprises and joys.
• Consider writing about things you did right as well as things you could have done differently.
• Do not specifically name service providers, good or bad.
• If you include people in your life make sure that they approve (in writing) or use aliases not real names.
• Humor is greatly appreciated, but we are not seeking vulgar or sexually explicit material.
• Include your name and title for your letter. If you do not wish to be identified, we may publish your work under a pen name, but we will require that you verify your identity.
The ideal letter will be about you, but it should be something to which others in the community can relate.
For more information, or to make a submission, please contact: